Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bound creatures abound.



The artist, Kylie Southwell describes her work; "These sculptures are made from recycled binding wire (the tangled mess of wire that results from a binding mishap). After making Chicken-Rabbit on a whim (it was meant to be a rabbit, but looked like a chicken... or the other way around), my sculptures soon became a hit around the office. As my binding mis-haps continued, the gallery of sculptures continued to grow into quite the menagerie. And that's how we ended up with Tina the Llama, Roger the Camel, Alan the Saltwater Crocodile, and many other animal sculptures in "the gallery", curated by my dedicated colleague, Phil."

Kylie's work emphasises how art and accident can be bound together, thus creating something that, like this wire, will remain forvever entwined.

3 comments:

  1. This is art! I love the curator's use of blu-tac and post-it notes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wherever I move in my room, the ostrich appears to be gazing at me. How the artist has achieved this I do not know, but it is mesmerising.

    This artist can use natural talent!

    ReplyDelete